Friday, September 20, 2019

Sit n Sew day


By far, my favorite days are the Sit n Sew days (and Monday sewing). They are just good all around. I get loads done (most sew days) and the conversations are amazing! We talk about everything and anything at the sew days and that's so neat. It's nice to know that we're not alone in our struggles - be that with changes in the family structure, our wins and losses, our hopes and dreams and so much more. I would be totally lost without the sit n sew days. I can't wait until the next one - OH WAIT - that's on Sunday!

It wasn't just myself who was super productive yesterday. Claudette sewed up her 3rd jelly roll rug!!! She comes with the "rope" already made and then just whips it up! I'd say she's got the technique down!


Claudette's jelly roll rug

I think she has one more rug to make and then Diane wants the space to make a few rugs. It's a good space to work in. I have the sewing machine set up in a drop-down cabinet and with two tables - one beside and one behind, the rug is completely supported as it's made. Super easy and FAST.

Ruth made progress in leaps and bounds yesterday. She's been working on this quilt - Sylvia's Bridal Sampler for a while. She made 99 of the 140 blocks. She got the main part of the top done yesterday!! It does need a good pressing and then the borders added. That's amazing - she just sat in her chair and sewed and sewed and by the end of the day, everything was sewn together. That's totally awesome. Way to go Ruth!! And nice to see Ruth as we haven't seen her in a while.

Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt

Helen Anne was hard at work on the borders of the Common Bride quilt by Laundry Basket Quilts. The borders are DONE. That's a whole lot of piecing and look at how nicely those seams are twirled! A huge pile of work. I believe the corners are still being worked on and then she can put this one to bed soon!!!

The borders for the Common Bride quilt


Speaking of laundry baskets, two baskets went home with Ruth. She needed a couple and I happened to have a couple of empty ones. Yeah - that was a win-win. Now Ruth is supposed to be tossing her old ones! And we totally trust her to do that.

Laundry baskets out the door
What did I do?? I trimmed two customer quilts. I was going to work on the backing for Tonga Rhapsody, but the cutting table was quite busy yesterday so I decided to work on my Lilla quilt. I finished off four blocks from our class last week. I sorted the blocks. There are 25 different blocks and I've made 4 of each for a total of 100. But I don't want one huge quilt, so I decided to make 12 more blocks so I would end up with two quilts that are 63 by 72 each. I threw the blocks on the design wall. We made a few changes and this is what we ended up with. 

A lap-sized version of Lilla

I knew there would be things that I didn't like after reviewing it, but I'm OK with that. It's a wee bit heavy on the bottom with that one color and holy - I used that blue/purple a LOT. Honestly, I'm not going to sweat it. It's a very jumbly quilt and I doubt that moving a few blocks around were going to make a huge difference. I do wish that I had rotated a few of the blocks but it is what it is. I'll spend a bit more time on the next one. I have four more blocks to make for the next quilt. I'm saving those for our final class in October. Then I can piece that top together.

Then I was really ambitious and I made the backing for this quilt and I made the binding for both of the quilts. 

The backing, binding, and the quilt top

So that one is getting moved to the "to be quilted" pile.

Next up was to load a giant customer quilt and it got finished last night. I hope to get that trimmed this morning so the customer can pick it up.

Customer quilt - DONE

My quilting schedule is going well. I hope to get a few more of mine done in the next few weeks, but my goal right now is to get completely caught up with customer quilts.

I snuck out for a wee bit to go to the book sale! I was going to go at 5 PM when it opened, but then figured it would be totally crazy busy. So I went for 7 PM instead. Although there were lots of people, it didn't seem to be busy, but there were people with grocery carts filled with books! Book dealers and teachers! I found two things on my list and two things that were not on my list.

It's quite the task to search through those open boxes of books. I should have taken a picture. I might go back as I realized as I was driving home that I missed the hardcover section completely! I don't think there were as many books as in previous years as I wasn't seeing a lot of books under the tables. It's loads of fun to scour the titles, but I would love if the volunteers would put the books in the SAME orientation within each box. They just shove them in and it's hard to see when some books are turned.

The books are sorted by genre, but that's it!

Look what I found! A quilt puzzle. Look - there's a copy of Quilter's Newsletter magazine in the background. That was $1. I added it to my jigsaw puzzle collection.

A quilt puzzle

Here are two books that have been on my list. So happy to have found the one on the left. I've been searching for that one for a long time.

Two novels that I found at the book sale

And for a lark, I bought this. Look who made the book. My fellow educators will get a kick out of this since some of them have been around for a long time and probably contributed to the book.

Serger Technique book by Husqvarna White!

As I've been writing this blog, I've been downloading all the pictures from my phone. That's in preparation of getting the new one! There were 4,500 photos. I know - many of those should be deleted and that will be a job once I get the paperwork under control.

I managed to pick up my parcel from the post office but that'll have to wait for another day. I have a bit of work to do this morning before I head off to my presentations at Brampton Sew n Serge this afternoon.

Photos are transferred - I just hit delete to delete them from my phone! ACK! I always hate delete!

On that note, I'm out of here. I've got a busy day! OK - why do I even say that when every day is a busy day!

Have a super day - enjoy the gorgeous weather if you're in my neck of the woods.

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment