Sunday, December 23, 2012

Tinners reveal (from Christmas Club)



Wow - in case you are wondering - yes I survived the mall. Was at the mall as it opened and I hit a couple of stores and I was out in ONE HALF HOUR!!!!   Oh yes - when you know what you want - there is NO wasting time. My biggest problem was figuring out where the stores were that I wanted. The mall has a new 3-D map that - well I should have downloaded the app that would direct me around!!!!!


Let's get onto tinners. As you know - this is a project that we have been working on all year and while I am thrilled that I participated, it became a bit of a monkey on my back. OK - it became a GORILLA on my back.

If you want to see the original post - check out this link..............   ( I am sure I had of witty comments to say about it when I was all excited!!!)

Start of the tinners project


BUT - I will be nice and repost all the original blocks HERE. There were eleven of us in the group so technically there should be ELEVEN blocks in each of the group shots below. There are a few missing - so hopefully those will get done so people can get working on their projects.

Grab a coffee - this might be long.

We can start with me!!!!   This is Randy the rooster - my theme was Randy the Rooster and his chicks, so I made a rooster to go in the bucket.


Randy

And this is Randy admiring himself!!!!!

My Randy the Rooster block. The only requirement - the backgrounds were to be black/white (I was wondering what happened to my black/white scraps - I forgot I included them in this project!!!!) and the block had to be a "chick"

  
My blocks that I received back!!!   There are some pretty cool "chicks" there!!!   Randy is in poultry heaven!!!! I believe I am still missing TWO blocks.  No worries girls - I know who you are and where you live!!!!!!!   Just don't be surprised if Randy shows up on your doorstep one day looking for his lost chick!!!!!



Karen's theme was Wine, Women and Song. We had to make a  12 inch block and use that musical note fabric somewhere in the block. 


Karen's blocks that she received (HEY - did you all note that through the magic of PhotoShop that Karen NOW has ELEVEN blocks in her show n tell, not just the NINE that were actually at the class). You just gotta love Photoshop



This block was the one that caused me the most grief. I just could NOT come up with an idea that I liked. So while quilting the other day and with the deadline LOOMING over my head and knowing that Karen was the MOST likely of anyone to work on this project, my brain went into PANIC mood. I ran to Ruti's and said I NEED fabric with women on it,  musical instruments and wine!!!   The girls scurried around seeing my stricken state and came up with exactly what I needed. Then not to be frightened by the fact that this block would be delivered the NEXT DAY - I decided that an EIGHT pointed star would be the ideal way to show case this deadly mixture of topics!!!!   I quickly drafted the pattern on EQ7 - printed it out and started cutting. I have to say that the quilting gods were on my side that night because EVERY Y seams went in like a charm!!!!!!     I think the results are super and I'm very happy with the block. Did you see that women are at the center of all things involving wine and music???   Not bad for a panic block - but should we tell Karen this?????

Nancy was making butter fly blocks. It was REFRESHING to get this box. The grey fabric was provided, as was the pattern. So we just had to choose four fabrics and make a couple of seams and VOILA - butterflies. Thanks Nancy!!!!! 



Nancy's blocks. Some of us made the blocks and did not sew them together (into a four patch group) - some did. 



My blocks that I made for Nancy - I was so lazy - I didn't even trim them - I think Nancy can make that happen. 

Next up was Linda. Her theme was hearts.


Linda's heart blocks. We were all trying to do a DIFFERENT style of heart and by the time I got the box, and did an internet search - a lot of  block styles were already done. THEN I quilted those two heart quilts for that customer and there were LOTS of ideas there. Shoot - could have used that quilt a LOT sooner than when I got it. Oh drat  - Ronda came late and her block is missing from the picture. We were allowed to make several sizes so I think Linda has all her blocks.


Linda VL - I am reposting the heart quilt in case you need MORE ideas!!!!!



My two heart blocks for Linda VL. 

Marlene was next with a theme of BLUE/WHITE. Ah - another nice and easy one. Well sort of - at least the colours were chosen and we could piece, not applique, but still had to choose a block and I believe the size was 10 inches



These are the blocks that Marlene received back. All of hers are there - someone made a LOT of small blocks instead of one big one. That is going to be one awesome quilt!!!!!


This is the block that I made for \Marlene

Annadele was next. Again another SUPER EASY block. I love you Annadele. She provided us with the black/white four patches. It was our job to add scraps from quilts that we had made and make a block.


The blocks that Annadele received. YES - all eleven are there. If they weren't - well that would just be BAD!!!!!


My block. That fabric in the bottom left was from the baby stuff I made for M. The cushion on the rocking chair was made from that fabric as were the bumper pads and a little quilt. Hmmm - maybe not a quilt - I don't think I made a quilt, but I made a cushion for the chair. That burgundy fabric in the top was from the FIRST quilt I made (well the first one since I seriously started to quilt). The blue vine in the top left was my BIG AMBITION quilt - I was going to make M a tumbling blocks quilt for her queen sized bed!!!   I know - I learned fast!!!!!  Never got the quilt made - well I made Ocean Waves instead. The green in the bottom left was from my SECOND quilt that I made when I got hooked. I still have both quilts. Annadele - thanks for the trip down memory lane!!!!

Suzi\s theme was houses or Home Sweet Home. Something to that effect. I don't think we had to worry about size, but the colour was very distinctive. 



The blocks she received. Looks like there is ONE missing. 



This is the block that I made. Now for some reason - this block just instilled a sense of dread. Why?????   Well - I have no idea. I picked out the fabric - had the pattern all set and yet it took MONTHS to build. I guess my point was - quality construction takes time????   Although I notice that one of the shutters is slightly askew. Oh dear - well nothing is perfect so that means it is more homey!!!!

Liz had a great theme - The Twelve Days of Christmas. I think she had provided a fabric that we were to use and  the block had to be 12 inches.


Liz's blocks. She received all of her blocks, but there is one missing since there are 12 days and we were only 11. She will have to figure out the missing block and make it up!!!!!!!!!!!


My block - guess I don't have to tell you that this was THREE FRENCH HENS.  I forgot to get a picture (maybe I took one when I made the blocks - but the wings are 3-D and the fabric on the underside of the wing is fabric that I bought when I was in Paris. I figure it would be worthy of this block. Shoot - I am not sure where that picture would be or even if I took it - I will look later. 

Kirsten's theme was SNOW. I believe there was a size required - 12 inches???


These are the blocks she received back. Hmmm - looks like one is missing. These blocks are COOL and it is going to make a gorgeous quilt. 


The block that I made - I took this from a Lydia Quigley snowman pattern.


Let's see - Oh yes - we still have Ronda


Ronda's theme was Crazy Christmas Penguins.



Here are the blocks that Ronda received and did you notice that AGAIN through the magic of PhotoShop, the block that I made for Ronda appears in this show n tell??????   I rush around like an idiot that morning to get it at least stuck down and then I couldn't find it when I arrived at the store. I got home to find the block sitting quite comfortably on my ironing board.



My funky Christmas penguin block - OK - so has NOTHING to do with Christmas, but purple is Ronda's favourite colour so I went with that!!!!   I still need to do the satin stitching. That will come after my Christmas panic of over!!!!


Last, but not least is Linda P.

Linda's theme was autumn and she included scads of yummy fabrics. We had to make a 15  inch block. 

These are the blocks she received back. Nice blocks. I think only one is missing. 


This is the block that I made and yes I had to BUTTON HOLE stitch around all those edges. 




And there you have it - the results of our tinners project from Christmas Club - had NOTHING to do with Christmas Club, just that most of the participants were also in Christmas Club.

Can you see why I am NOT doing any exchanges this coming year. The blocks are time consuming. Now just making the block, but figuring out what to make, then choosing the pattern, getting fabric. Well it is not so bad if you are doing one, but at one point, I was doing THREE every month - just too much and I burned myself out with this. So I am taking a well deserved break.

My thanks to everyone for the WONDERFUL blocks I received. As much as I complained about this - I did enjoy it and I LOVED seeing what everyone did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Hmmm - just did a count - not as bad as I thought - there are FOUR incomplete boxes - three are missing ONE block and OOOPS - mine is missing TWO. Randy and I will be patiently waiting for the missing chicks to come home. Those young chicks - don't want to come home!!!!!


Have fun putting them together.  Perhaps we should set a deadline as to the completion date?????   How about at the next show n tell of Christmas Club in December 2013 - have your tinner quilt done!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Lots of people go to warm places for xmas vacation. Is your penquin away at the beach for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete