Friday, December 21, 2012

Joshua Creek Heritage Art Center


OK - confession time. I guess the deadlines are not that bad or I am NOT worried about them because after I delivered some stuff, I took a couple of hours and went on a field trip.

My friend Elaine S came and picked me up and we started by having a great lunch at Panera Bread. Yummy sandwiches and amazing soup.

Then we hopped back in the car (no time for lingering at Panera as people were waiting to sit down). And within MINUTES we had arrived at our destination.


Joshua Creek Heritage Art Center

This is the main gallery

The porch (this is the left side of the building in the above picture)

The main door of the gallery and in the background is the house and the studios


Joshua Creek Heritage Art Center



Check out their web site. The facility is owned by Sybil Rampen. As we were viewing the exhibit, Sybil wandered in and we spent a LOT of time over a cup of tea getting to know the story of the facility. All I can say is that Sybil is BRILLIANT. If I ever won the lottery, I would do exactly what she has done. She repaired a dilapidated barn and added to it (that is the gallery), then she converted the garage to make several studios and then an addition was built onto the house connecting to the garage. We got to tour the garage, the gallery AND the house. It was FABULOUS. I am NOT going to remember all the dates, but the buildings date back to the 1800`s. The house was AMAZING and the rooms just seemed to go on and on.

AND I want to LIVE THERE.


This is one of the studio`s!!!!   Can you imagine having that view when you are working????????   OH MY GOD - we were just in awe as we turned each corner

This is one of the rooms in the addition to the house. OH MY GOD - do you not want to move in????????????


I have to FIND a reason to go there on a regular basis!!!!!!!!!!!   It is just to die for and I LOVE SYBIL. She is feisty, she loves life, she knows what she wants, she has vision - I was so impressed by her.


Well the real reason we went to the Center was to view a quilt exhibit. I don't see the information about the exhibit on the web site, but this was a collection of quilts made by Canadians that also traveled to France. I will try to find more details. But the quilts came from all over Canada. I am only going to show you one (yes I had permission to take the photo provided I also listed the artist information). You will have to go and see the show yourself. It is free (donations are welcome). Loads of free parking - and if you are not into quilts - you should go just to see the building. It is AMAZING.



One of the quilts in the display

Detail of quilt

Artist information



And then it was time to come home.

What was really interesting is that when I go to see these kind of exhibits, I get inspired, I get motivated - I want to work. I was talking to another lady and she said just the opposite. Seeing all these beautiful works made her want to go home and pack up all her stuff. Thinking that she would never be able to replicate these works. WOW - what a waste!!!!   I will not be able to make THESE quilts, but they should be inspiration to make something. So many of them were VERY DOABLE!!!!!!



So refreshing to see that this kind of place exists. I just LOVE IT!!!!!   And I could very easily ride my bike there - it is less than 10 K away - well maybe a bit more, but not much. I know - it has been around for a while, and about 6 months that I knew it existed and only now did I get there. Obviously I am NOT in the loop!!!!!


Made good progress on the LAST customer quilt after I came home. Should be able to finish it up in a couple of hours this morning. And made good progress on Easy Street while I sewed on a project - something I haven't done is AGES. If was great. I have realized that I have a COUPLE of things that are sitting here that NEED to be done for Christmas. Presents - oh well - I am NOT IN A PANIC. Matter of fact, I am pretty relaxed and I'm LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


On that note - I am out of here. Another busy day, but not too busy. Hey - I might even start sewing something on that huge pile sitting on the table!!!!!!!!!!!   Oh yeah - I can do ANYTHING!!!!!!!!   That is the only problem with going to the gym in the morning - your endorphins kick in and well - that's what gets me into trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment