Thursday, December 27, 2012

Heavy construction on Easy Street!!!



I am NOT up to date, but at least I am back sewing, not quilting!!!!   And for some reason, I feel compelled to sew this project as an ender and leader rather than just sit down and sew. Why????   No idea - it seemed like a good idea when I started and my anal behaviour won't allow me to change!!!!


But progress is being made - have a look................


Step One and Two - DONE

The background pieces we cut in Step 2 - DONE


Now many of you like my chicken wire fabric as the background, but when I got to Step 3 - I was presented with a challenge. The darn thing is directional!!!!!!!!!!!!!   But not hugely!!!


See - the little curly cue is going in TWO different directions in this shot

Here they are going in the same direction


I had completed about three of the triangles when I realized that this was going to be an issue, but for the life of me, I could NOT figure out how to make them all have the same orientation. Too busy of a mind I suppose.

Well - I was almost done sewing the wings to the square when I figured it out.


If I sew on the left side of the square - the squiggly lines are vertical and if I sew on the right side of the square, the squiggly lines are horizontal.

See - once they are sewn together it doesn't matter which side the triangles were sewn on. Oh well - I am NOT changing them and I doubt anyone will notice either.  But I did keep the orientation the same in each triangle. 

Step Three - the wings are all on the squares and a couple are sewn to the green triangle

Step Four - pieces are cut and a couple of flying geese are together

Step Five - cut out and that's as far as I got.



I have this HUGE mess on the work tables and I have no idea where I am going to put it all. I thought - why not JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!    It has to be done anyway!!!!!!   I grabbed these blocks which are pretty much cut out and half of the blocks are sewn and the blocks for the border are done.


These are the completed blocks - I didn't put up the border, but it is that Ohio Star on the right

I got FOUR blocks sewn yesterday. I believe six of the remaining blocks are completely cut out and I still have to cut the red for four blocks. Hmmmmm - I can get a LOT of enders and leaders in this project. I may even catch up?????   I doubt it since there is a new clue tomorrow.



On that note - have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you are back to sewing. I know what you mean about making them all have the same orientation. I do that any time I'm working with stripes too. I just can't help myself. The blocks on your design wall are looking good! Like Bonnie says, this mystery isn't a race... just enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your design wall is fantastic - as is what's ON the design wall! I love the bright colours of your Easy Street units. I hope we start joining some together this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Easy Street colors are so FUN! I love the red and white blocks on your design wall, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad we couldn't find the time to finish up those red and white blocks together. Such a busy time of year! We will go on that tour soon though.

    Maryv

    ReplyDelete