Thursday, March 23, 2023

How to write a novel

I often wonder what it would be like to write a novel, as I can quickly crank out words - I do it daily for the blog, but each entry is completely unrelated. There's no character development to manage (well, maybe Murphy and Lexi), but there's no plot line to abide by and no details to pay attention to. 

I'm also good at writing blog posts for QUILTsocial, but they probably don't make sense to anyone. At least the first draft! I cranked out 1,600 words this morning, but it needs significant editing before I can hit send! That could be how the novelists do it -- they write out a lot of gibberish and hope that something transpires from it all, and after so many days - they have a book! 

The bottom line is that I'm progressing on those commitments and deadlines. I will have to find a way to get them done. They cannot slip, so I'll have to find the time to complete them. I have a relatively easy day today -- only one Zoom call this evening, and I believe the presentation is ready. I'll check it this morning to make sure. But that leaves the entire day to write and sew. 

And here's one thing to note as it came up in my memories last night on Facebook. I've been wondering about my current desktop computer. It's getting old, but how old? Apparently, it's NINE years old -- it's practically an antique in the world of computers. But I love it. I was thinking of taking it in for a tune-up and to check the memory. But I don't have time for that right now, so maybe in a couple of weeks. I know -- it's best to do it while I'm away, but who has time to do that when prepping is of the utmost urgency. 


My computer was bought nine years ago


There is no "computer" - just a screen, and I LOVE it. I still think I need two monitors, but this desk has no room. One day, the office will be clean enough to rearrange the furniture, but that's NOT a priority right now. 


I was off to speak at a guild last night. And I should have mentioned the name of the guild. DRAT --- Anyway -- it was the Niagara Heritage Quilt Guild. Oh my goodness, they were a very helpful group, and they had my suitcases in and out of the car before I could even say boo! Thanks so much to Pat and all the helpers!!!


But first, I had to pack. A certain someone was NOT happy to see those suitcases out. She plunked herself right in the middle of the packing, and I swear she would jump in if she could fit! She was very happy when I returned last night. 



MOM -- are you leaving again? Don't go!


But there I am with two giant suitcases and a bag of quilts. It was so much fun to get out and speak in front of a guild, and they had to cancel their last two meetings because of the weather, so we were all happy to be out. 

Thanks again to the Niagara Heritage Quilt Guild for hosting me! I had a blast. 

Packed for a guild presentation


As I was waiting for the meeting to begin, I always take a peek around the room. Oh my -- a FREE table and I spotted this giant bag of half-square triangles. I took a picture and chuckled, but I wasn't tempted -- not one bit. I noticed someone picked up the bag! 

Free half-square triangles

I spotted a bunch of AQ magazines from the last couple of years, so I grabbed a couple and browsed while waiting for the meeting to start. Oops - one of them got slipped into my bag! 

Free magazines!


But this brought back memories. Does anyone remember the liquid embroidery paints? Yep -- Tri-Chem and Artex! Holy!!! Who knew this stuff was still around. 

Instructions for using liquid embroidery



Anyway, FIVE large tablecloths were waiting for someone to pick them up. They were still waiting on the table when I left. This is a reminder that if you have stuff like this around --- you had better think of getting rid of it or using it! Are those paints still around? 

Liquid embroidery tablecloth


Those paints were a total pain because the tubes would dry up around the tips and were horrible to unclog. 

I'm trying very hard to clear my space and hope to find some fabric to walk to Diane's house, as I know she has run out. I hate to do anything quickly, but I might need a mental break later today. Too bad I couldn't go to the Etobicoke Quilt Show today! 

Anyway --- remember the Etobicoke Quilt Show is happening this weekend. March 24 and 25. It's always a great show, and there is loads of stuff there. Good thing I can't go -- they have thousands of used books (OK -- so about ONE thousand), and I'd be in there like a dirty shirt, and I do NOT need more books. But some older books that most people do not want are the BEST. 

There are NO new techniques -- just old ones revised, and sometimes the older books are better as the technique is better explained -- not some crazy way of doing the old stuff, just to make it new. 


And it's Virtual Retreat this weekend. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate as I have so much work to do, and some of it involves being in front of a computer. I'm good, but I can't do Zoom and make presentations simultaneously! But I'll be there as much as possible. 

Here are the links

Saturday, March 25  -- Starts at 6 PM EST

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797

Sunday, March 26 -- Starts at NOON EST


Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86119598156?pwd=ZDFxcElxS0NmeTRjczdSR2FXd3N2Zz09

Meeting ID: 861 1959 8156
Passcode: 053861


I had a great drive to and from the event last night. Oh boy --- I can see that I don't get out much in the car! I see changes in my neighborhood, outside my walking range! But I don't care! And when I got home, it was warm and dry -- almost like a summer night! Yeah!!! Could the worst be over? Where's that egg chair? 


I'm off to walk the dogs and then hit the computer to start a major rewrite of that blog post!


Have a super day!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment