Friday, March 31, 2023

Be flexible!!!

 It's my final morning in Montreal - at least for this trip, and I have to say that I'm looking forward to going home! I love going away, but the day I go home is always the best! I have two lectures to present today and then an evening flight. 

I see I got an e-mail regarding the weather and my flight. Snow flurries later today, but hopefully, all will be fine, as I would very much like to get home tonight, as I have a full day planned for tomorrow. If I don't, well, I'll figure something out. I'm flexible!

That's the word of the day -- be flexible, and don't let them see you sweat. Let's just say that I wasn't as prepared as I wanted to be because, in my head, I had a different lecture than was actually planned for the day, but by being flexible and having samples, it all worked out! I have to laugh, though -- it's easy to laugh after the fact. This was the presentation that was bugging me the most. Then I arrived and wasn't as prepped as I would like and had to present it for the first time in French! Of course! 

I didn't rent a car, and I'm relying on UBER to get me around, which is fine. Don't tell DH that because it took forever for me to try UBER, and now that I have, I'm sold on how easy it is to use the service. It's all done on an app on your phone -- you request the ride. they have the address where to pick you up and drop you off in their GPS, and you don't need to tell them anything. Even the payment is taken care of through the app. 

So super simple, so if you do NOT use UBER, try it. I'm probably paying the same as if I had rented a car for these two days, and I don't have the hassle of driving in the traffic. 

Did I mention that the fellow who picked me up saw that giant suitcase of mine and put it in and out of the van, which was great since the darn thing weighs 50 pounds, and I hate lifting it! I hate traveling with that suitcase, but I have no choice when I do classes or lectures! It stayed overnight at the store, so I don't have to worry about it this morning. 

The only thing that is "complicated" here is that there are no license plates on the front of the cars. While you have the make and color of the car (that's in the app), the best way to check you have the correct ride is to check the license plate! Oh well --- I'm going from the hotel to the store -- I doubt there will be a rush on UBERS arriving simultaneously at either location. 

Being at Club Tissus is like being a kid in a candy store. They have everything, but at the moment, they are down in the fabric, and signs say they are making some changes in the store. That's probably a good thing since I won't be tempted, but I found a lovely stretch twill that I will buy to make a pair of pants. 

With all the talk of making garments these days and having access to a serger and a Ditto, I'm going to venture down that road -- at least to try more seam finishes, techniques, etc. 

The presentations went well, although there are still so many terms that I need to learn in French. The group was very helpful, as was the store employee who sat in the presentation. I always explain that French is not my native language - just so they know. One person even said that my French is pretty good, and I suppose it is. However, there are some tongue twisters, to be certain, and if you want the correct pronunciation and accent, it takes a moment to get it out. They were all lovely and patient! 

When I lived here, I'd practice certain words in the car while driving so no one could hear me! I will have to start that again, but on my walks! You only realize how many terms there are for sewing, quilting, and garment making once you have to say them in another language!

Now my embroidery software and phone have been converted to French, which takes some time. But it all works out in the end. 

I got back to the hotel close to 6 PM and debated on the walk. I had not done many steps in the day, so I got my jacket and walked. I would have been mad at myself this morning if I didn't. It was pleasant enough, and I'm happy I went. I'm a wee bit behind the daily goal at the moment, and I suspect I'll fall further behind today since I won't have much time to walk, although I'm going out in a few minutes. It's easy to make up a KM or two, but more than 10 KM and only 25 days left -- I have to keep on top of it. 

When I mention that Club Tissus has everything, look at this. They have several riveting machines in the store, and I imagine they are there and can be rented - or rent time. This would be super handy as there are times when I want to put rivets on, but I don't have a heavy-duty machine to use, so I try something else. 


Rivet tool



And all patterns are labeled "in English only" if there are no instructions in French. 

English only

I could fit right in this French world and not blink an eye, and within several months, my French would be much better. Perhaps I need to do a "co-op" here! Surprisingly enough, the majority of guests at the hotel speak English. I got in the elevator last night with several people and asked for "trois." They looked at me with a blank stare!

I hoped to stop by the bakery last night, but it was closed when I went by. But the chocolate and the baking look amazing! Perhaps the next trip!

The bakery and chocolate shop

This was a pedestrian bridge across the highway to a park on the banks of the St. Lawrence seaway (river), and there was a lookout at the end, but it was closed. 

The walkway



And there is downtown or Centre-Ville de Montreal with the mountain to the right. I remember when Place Ville Marie was very prominent, but it's now lost amongst the other buildings.  

Downtown Montreal


The infrastructure for cycling here is fantastic -- bike paths are everywhere, and they are BIG, or wide. Oh well -- -we are making inroads back home, but I doubt it'll be the same as here. 


I'd better organize myself as I have to pack a few things in my suitcase, go for a walk, have breakfast, and then get to the store this morning. 

I just checked the weather forecast, and it's in Toronto, where we have snow today. Please don't let it affect my flight! 

Remember to check out QUILTsocial to see the progress on the collage journal cover! Such an excellent way to try new techniques or use up odds and ends of stuff in your house! We had a good chat about that in one of the lectures yesterday, and there are so many ways you could do the same thing -- journal covers, wall hangings, cushions, fidget quilts for adults or children, tote bags, etc. Get your stuff out and start planning! Well, I don't plan; I just do!

On that note, I'm out of here! 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment