Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Skills Competence Canada


Today is an EXCITING day at our house.

M was up bright and early at 5 AM. I know - 5 AM!!!!!!!!!!!    Her fashion sewing teacher picked her up at 5:30 AM and they have arrived at the Skills Ontario competition in Waterloo.

My child in a SEWING competition???   What other way to warm a mother's heart mere days before Mother's Day. I LOVE that kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the link if you want to know more about the Skills Competition.



http://www.skillsontario.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=39&lang=en


The competition starts at 8 AM, no phones, but Ms Bamford will be sending me updates as the day goes on.
They start at 8 AM and have EIGHT hours to draft the pattern and make an unlined jacket. Oh my goodness - I am nervous for her, but she has worked VERY HARD the last couple of weeks and she is as ready as she will ever be.


She has made several iterations of the jacket and tweaked the design each time. I know she spent a LOT of time in the studio this past weekend when I wasn't here. We had a small consultation when I got home from the marathon and when I was fast asleep, she woke me up to tell me that the jacket was done. My brain didn't compute that, but when I got up - this is what I saw.................



Never mind the DUCKS UNLIMITED camo fabric that the jacket is made of - that was just scrap fabric the teacher gave her to make the jacket. There is a belt and she has somehow incorporated the zipper into the belt. Not sure how that will work. But the sleeves were in (I did nothing to help- I was just the consultant along with her teacher). I think she did an AMAZING job.    I am PROUD PROUD PROUD of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


When she was sewing the pleats in the sleeves, I told her to sew over the pins. SHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't tell anyone. Anyway - she was freaking out, so I dug out the safety glasses and she wore them. I did not take a picture!!!   But she looked cute!



Like I said - she has arrived, there are twelve people in total in the sewing competition, they are using Husqvarna sewing machines (YEAH!!!!!!) and the fabric is ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!  


Let's keep our fingers crossed for her. It is going to be a LONG LONG EXHAUSTING day. I will be getting text updates from Ms Bamford.   (thanks for the updates!!!!!!!!!!)




M's work station






Drafting the pattern


I am so excited for her and she has worked so hard.   This is such a great opportunity for the students - there are MANY MANY trades in the competition. The more experiences that one gets exposure to - well you never know what will happen. A visit from then Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau when I was almost finished Grade 12 COMPLETELY CHANGED MY LIFE. Who knew? I should send a note to his son Justin - honestly - my life turned 360 after that. But this post isn't about me - it's about M!!!!!!!!!!!

GO M GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. She is going to do fantastic and have a blast. Besides, she found lipstick in her pocket (which is apparently a good omen)!

    ReplyDelete