Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Around the Block......................


I had a sit n sew at my house on Sunday. Katheleen was in attendance. Katheleen was also at the sit n sew last month. One of the first things out of her mouth - "OH - I thought you were supposed to be done that quilt - it was on the wall last time I was here"   DAMN YOU Katheleen. She wasn't supposed to notice that!!!!

Since the girls left, I got myself busy.


I built the LAST house

Did some landscaping............


The end result?????
The quilt to date (yes I know that house on the right hand side is BRIGHT, but you know what - it is staying that way!!!!)

So everything is cut, just four trees to sew and then sew the houses together and sew the borders on. 
 

There isn't a final border on the outside, but I think I might sew one on. I'll see how I feel when I get to that point. I have to get it OFF the wall before the next sit n sew!!!!!


Last night was a RARE night because I didn't have to go out. Imagine that!!!!!!!!!!!   And so what was I going to do????   Well I couldn't sew because a certain someone was madly sewing, so I got a lot of cutting done until I was too tired to stand anymore (wore the wrong shoes during the day).


And what was that certain someone sewing????   Well she is enrolled in the Ontario Skills competition which takes place next Tuesday. She is spending considerable time with her teacher at school who is helping her prepare. And I am helping her at night - well not really as she has certainly come a LONG way in the sewing world and admits that the more you sew, the easier it is.

Her teacher gave her this fabric to make another test jacket................


Ducks Unlimited fabric - lovely - I had to fight with her to NOT leave me any. It is "lovely" camo fabric!!! 


I didn't get a picture of the jacket, but she did quite well (and OK - so she put me to shame) because she cut the jacket out and got most of it done (except sleeves, button holes and hem) and I can't even finish a jacket in four weeks!!!!!!!!!!   But she isn't finishing the seams and what not - this is just practice.

And the weight of marks on creativity and workmanship - well workmanship is a LOT more than creativity. Oh Sweet Mother of God - we are in big trouble!!!!!!!!!!!   But she has progressed a LOT, so I can't really complain and she has learned because she whipped that jacket together last night with VERY MINIMAL instruction from me.

Going through the local paper yesterday and look what I found - an ad for her old school.  and there she is.............    The sweet thing - looks so cute!!!!


Little Miss Madeline - not sure how old she was, but Grade 3?????



Yesterday was a gorgeous day, but I had a lot of work to do and I did get a LOT accomplished. But I had to do errands and rather than take the car, I got my urban bike out. Pumped up the tires and I was off - grinning from ear to ear like an idiot. I can't help it - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the feel of riding that bike around town to do errands. It is so freeing - And the weather is going to be gorgeous today so even though I have already been to the gym, I think I will pop out for a quick (2 hour) ride right after lunch.


Ah to be a dog  - look how comfy Sparky looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Too tired to even lift her head, but she did open her eyes.



I have run into an interesting issue lately and it's all about NAMES. My name is Elaine. Everyone knows that, but I now know so many other Elaine's that we have to nickname them. There is GYM Elaine (not me), QUILTING Elaine, NEIGHBOUR Elaine and many more Elaine's from my classes. I was the ONLY one back home - where have they all come from?????




On that note - I am off to the quilting machine today. And then off for a ride.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking about making a house block style like this one. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete