Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Lost and found

Thanks so much for all the comments.  Contrary to popular belief - I'm NOT heading for a breakdown.  Matter of fact, I've never felt better. Yes - a tad overwhelmed at times, but I've no one to blame but myself. I did say that I was going to have a crazy time until December 1 and that's this week!  So far, things are on track to get everything accomplished and then I'll share with you. I've been given a couple of days reprieve on two of the projects, so they are both slated for delivery on Sunday. 

I've even managed to sneak in time to read a book. I know - I'm truly my own worst enemy. And let's not forget the hours I spend at the dog park or walking Miss Lexi!

Guess what happened?  Nope - I didn't find the notebook with all the lists in it, but I'm not worrying anymore. I can recreate those lists and as I recreate them, I'll be sharing the process with you. 

As I said would happen, I found the new book that I had bought to replace the old one. 
The new notebook which I now don't need
Yes - there is was sitting right on my desk beside the computer.  I honestly thought I had left it downstairs. I'm a piler and there was a pile of other stuff on it.   That's going to be a very hard habit for me to break, but I have an idea. 

I'm thrilled to report that already, the orange notebook is working wonders.  It's become a task master and you know how we are our own worse critics, this book glares at me when I'm home. Wondering why I'm not working smarter and so - things are getting done at a very rapid rate to avoid the evil eye of The Task Master!

The Task Master

I'll be explaining more about The Task Master - OK - so it's just a notebook. But I've been doing some research and I have a lot of information to share with you.  That will be on an upcoming Monday.  

Not that I need another project, but I did start a new one.  I forgot to mention - there is ONE important rule in all this.  We are NOT allowed to be judgemental each other.  If I want to start a new project, that's my business!  I started the new project for several reasons - I like red and white quilts, I like scrap quilts, I want to be part of the Sesquicentennial celebrations for 2017 and well - I just wanted to do it!

It's the 150 Canadian Women Quilt A Long.   I didn't see a finished picture of the quilt on the Facebook page, but there are 150 - 6-inch blocks.  That's going to be one huge quilt and I'm not sure I want a quilt that large so for the moment, I'm just making blocks and might make two quilts from the blocks. 

Here is a photo of my first three blocks


I've got the next three blocks cut out.  They make super enders and leaders while I'm working on other projects.  Not too complicated.  

But here's where I ran into a problem.  In order to keep everything neat and tidy, I found a binder to put the patterns in. Step One - check! Find a three-hole punch to make the holes. Oh shoot - I have two of them and guess what - I can't find the right one.  In another attempt, years ago, to get organized, I had an agenda which used a different setting for the three holes.  See - my three-hole punch for the agenda is even labeled!

Three-hole punch for a long forgotten agenda
I know, you're thinking - just change the position of the holes.  Well - not so easy as it requires a screwdriver which is downstairs. And well - you see why I keep a screwdriver in my box of sewing machine feet!   I'd be forever running around finding tools.

Three-hole punch needs a screwdriver to change the position of the screws

Another good thing happened yesterday. Remember that binding that I found and no idea where it belonged?

Binding for what???
As I was tidying up and making lists, I found the quilt that it belonged to!  I see that something has to be done about labeling those bindings!  Something to think about while I quilt the next quilt!

The quilt and the binding - now together!!!

On that note, I'm off to meet the day. Although by now, the day is almost half over. I've been up for hours, walked Miss Lexi and spent 1 1/2 hours in the studio and got loads done (thanks to The Task Master).

Have a super date!!!


1 comment:

  1. I recently started a new practice for me: when I finish a top (and it goes on the pile of Tops to be Quilted), *at that time*, I make the bias binding to be used once the top is quilted. I wrap the bias binding around my hand, to make a nice oval roll, then pop the entire roll into a small ziploc bag. Usually a sandwich bag is a good size but smaller quilts can use a snack size. Then, I *PIN* the ziploc to the completed top.

    Voila! When I eventually get around to the quilting part, my binding is already made! And more importantly, I know where it is.

    Making the binding when the top is completed ensures that I am using the same fabric(s) for the binding as I used in the top. I can't count the number of times that I've quilted an old top and either can't find the fabric I used in the top or remembered that I used those leftovers in another project!

    I also feel smugly superior to know that the step of making the binding has already been taken care of. :-)