Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 60 - St. Damase - Atholville

NOW - NO LAUGHING at the name of this town. Can you believe that there is actually a town with a name like that!!!  Of course  - there is nothing wrong with that, except how can you keep a straight face when you say it?????

So remember how I said that there was Christmas in the campground last night? WELL - it turns out that it is also a HUGE party for the adults. There was a band setting up in the bar (that was on the campground). They started playing at 10 PM. YES - 10 PM. And after the band finished playing at some ridiculous time in the morning, they got the karokee going. While we were not super close to the bar, it would appear that every window in the bar was open because the music was LOUD. I mean - even after I put in ear plugs - I could still hear the music like it was in my tent!!!!!!   I think things shut down somewhere around 3:30 AM, but none of us got a good sleep.

Up and ready to go by 7 AM, but I was tired and the first thing we noticed this morning is that the wind was NOT in our favour. Yes  - we had a headwind for most of the day. A character building headwind. But there were also lots of hills and the wind swirled around so sometimes it was OK and then a cross wind and then gusts and well - we had all kinds of wind. It was NOT a great day!!!!!!   We started the day off with HILLS - lots of hills and while most were not as steep as yesterday, there were still hills. And the road surface was crappy. We were on a secondary highway for the first 15 K of the day. We made an executive decision to stay on the main highway (our beloved 132) instead of taking any of the side trips. After consulting our map - we realized that the side trips were only to keep us off the busier 132. But it is Sunday today, so 132 wasn't all that busy. And I am glad we stayed on it.

We arrived in Amqui and tried to find a bakery. No bakery, but there was a restaurant besides the McDonald's. However after we went into the restaurant, I swore that we were in the McDonald's. The decor was the SAME!!!!!!   I attempted to order an omelette, but got a soft cooked egg instead. How the heck did the order person screw that up?????   I HATE soft cooked eggs. But I ate it anyway!!!!!   See how desperate I am for food????

Back on our bikes and into the wind. We each took the lead for 2K and then switched off. We started that pretty early in the day and it did make the day go a bit faster, but after lunch - I was just tired of doing that so I hung back.

At one point we were cycling along a river (I'll get the name later) and although it was a slight downhill for a LONG way - you still had to pedal like mad in order to get anywhere. Like I said - it was a character building day!!!!!!

We saw several covered bridges and stopped to get pictures. Pretty cool. Then we saw a HUGE chair by the side of the road (at Ste. Florence) and got pictures there as well. Across the highway was a gas station and we got something to drink and had our sandwich.

After more hills and more wind, we stopped to get another cold drink. Oh yes - I forgot to mention that the temperature was warmer during the afternoon than it has been for a while. And while we appreciated the warmth - it made for some hot riding.

The best part of the day was when we crossed the bridge to get to New Brunswick. YES - we are now in New Brunswick. That is pretty exciting. That means that we have ridden through SIX provinces and have four left. And there are only 10 riding days left. Can you believe that??????

Just before getting to the campground (well 2 K away) there was a Dairy Queen and YES - we stopped at that too. I mean - we did have our sandwich for lunch afterall. Then up a hill to get to the campground, EXCEPT that when we arrived at the top of the hill - we then went back down the other side. COME ON - what was that all about??????  And not like it was a little hill either!!!!   But good thing for the ice cream because I did have the energy to get up.

We are in a beautiful campground with EXCELLENT showers that are close to the truck. Our camp sites are close to the truck. I mean what more could one ask for!!!!!!  The only down side - the ground was so hard - it was a tad difficult to pound the pegs into the ground!!!!!!  Let's hope for no wind tonight.

My biggest problem is upon arriving at camp - I am thirsty and hungry!!!!!!   Yet - I don't want to eat tons because that spoils dinner.

And yes - I managed to finish my book last night - it was great!!!!   A new author to me. And already started a new one after I got in today!!!!

We have two more days of riding and then I hope to get some of my stats downloaded so I can share them with you. And now we are in a new time zone!!!!!!

On that note - it is almost time for dinner.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment