Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 69 - Dingwall - Englishtown

Wow - deju vu!!!!   It's my birthday and I started my birthday in the exact same campground as I started my birthday last year. What a weird coincidence!!!  (I did the Tour Atlantic last year and the last part mirrors what we just did)

Anyway - I did not have a great sleep. It turns out that no one had a great sleep. Not sure if that was because of our late dinner or whether it was hotter than we are used to. But needless to say - I was still tired when we left camp. We got off to the same early start that we usually do and we decided to take the scenic route which added 4 K to our route. Let's just say that it was HILLY. Oh yes - some of the hills were just as steep as those from yesterday, but they were not as long. That was a good thing because my legs were like a wet noodle when we left camp. They were so tired that I didn't think I was going to be able to ride 1K, let alone 109 K.

But the workout on the hills was what I needed and although I did not get any more energy, it did change my mind set and I knew I was going to be able to do the day. I had forgotten how hilly this part of the trail was. Everyone focuses on the big hills and forgets about the rest of the route.

We stopped for our second breakfast in Ingonish where I had waffles and chocolate milk. The waffles were great, but NOT as good as those in Belgium. That is a very high standard and hard to beat.

Back on the road. We saw a lot of the others today as we would stop - they would catch up. We would chat for a bit and then we were gone again and they would catch up at the next spot.

I may not remember all the names of places, but as I got to the various spots, I recognized them from having ridden the same route last year. We stopped for our sandwich in Wrecked Bay at the general store. Oh yes - I remember this place well - as Bruce had taken this picture of me as I sat outside the store totally exhausted and dejected. I must get that picture from him - it is terrible!!!!!  BUT the same as last year - we had a LOVELY headwind to contend with as we cycled south. While I don't think the wind was as bad as last year, it was still not my friend today.

Another stop at a bakery before we finally made it to Englishtown where we took yet another ferry. We made it to the ferry as it was loaded and it was a short ride - a couple of minutes across. Then three K to the camp site. Now we were warned that the hill into the campsite was steep and NOT paved. Oh yes - that is a STEEP unpaved hill. Danny was with us at this point and we all just geared down and crept up the hill. OK - so Danny sped up the hill, but I crept up the hill. The gearing on Danny's bike is not the best for these steep hills and his bike just creaked all the way up and of course just as we arrived at the top - the sun came out and it was HOT.

While we did have a head wind, the rest of the weather was not so bad. There was no rain, although I did hear it rain a bit in the night. But it was a crazy day - should I wear the jacket - a bit too hot with all the climbing, but the vest just didn't seem to be enough. It was a weird day - a bit humid.

We played switch a roo in the campground tonight. The Tour Atlantic finished yesterday (Hi to Mike, Jim, Larry, Tim, Mark and Lynn!!!!!!) and we are now taking all the stuff off our truck and putting it on the van and trailer. This will allow our bikes to go up top of the trailer rather than on the ferry (which costs more) - and we don't really need all that room now that we are technically done. So that caused a bit of chaos as we had to figure out what to keep with us on the ferry (can't access the truck during the voyage across) and what we need to ride on the last day.

It felt like old times on the trailer. I have traveled SEVEN weeks in three different years using the van and trailer. Yup - just like old times.

I had to rescue Myra from the shower. The showers cost fifty cents and she had only one quarter but didn't realize until she was in the shower. I only had a toonie in my pocket so I had to run back to the truck and see who had a quarter handy!!!!!!!   We got a good laugh over that!!!!!!

So tonight is our last night in our tents!!!!!!   Hard to believe that we started this trip almost 10 weeks ago. We had two days of riding and about 165 K left to ride. Thank goodness tomorrow is a short day - I really need to have a bit of a rest - my legs feel better now, but they will be happy to ride only 45 K to the ferry tomorrow.

Oh yes - one should always have cake on their birthday and I got CAKE!!!!!!   We have had five or six birthdays and we always got cake. I did get a picture of it and it was YUMMY. I even got candles on my cake - I think I was the only one. Not sure if they thought I was older and needed the candles or whether they felt sorry for me!!!!   Anyway - I made a great wish and let's hope it comes true!!!!!

I did have a couple of "recovery" beer when I arrived at camp and now I think I have eaten too much!!!!!!

On that note - thanks to everyone who sent birthday wishes via FACEBOOK. It was great to hear from all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment